FIRST TRIP TO THE DEAD SEA – Neve Midbar Beach
1) The dead sea is VERY salty. It’s called the Dead Sea because nothing lives in it.
2) Pictures in magazines don’t lie. You really can just lie on top reading a newspaper!
3) If you have any cuts or wounds, you will definitly feel them going into the sea. This is why, ladies, you shouldn’t really shave before you go to the Dead Sea. But the water will help the healing process.
4) DO NOT put your head in the water, it will make you feel like you’re going blind. Avoid tasting the water also, it’s quite unpleasant.
5) The mud is VERY good for your skin, and makes you feel like a kid when you start playing around with it.
6) The Dead Sea is getting dangerously low, and could well disappear sooner than later…
7) On one side of the Dead Sea there is the Wes Bank (zone B, ccessible to Palestinians and Israelis in most places), on the other side of the West Bank, there is Jordan. The scenery is beautiful.
8) The Dead Sea is the lowest place on earth, -400 meters compared to the level of other seas and oceans. Considering Jerusalem is at 800 meters of altitude and it’s only about a 50 minutes drive down to the Dead Sea, your ears will feel the 1200 meters difference as you keep going down and down… It’s also the reason why it is MUCH hotter at the Dead Sea than in Jerusalem. On the way to the Dead Sea, on the road, there are marks saying at wich level you are, including a “Sea Level” mark. From there you still go down 400 meters in altitude before reaching the Dead Sea.